After many decades of reading health and fitness magazines in an effort to look better, I turned my focus toward wellness. I took small steps, found simple resources and slowly but surely felt awesome. Now, it’s my life, I embrace all facets of clean eating, active living (exercising for the body and mind) and non-toxic living (using “green and clean” cosmetics and home products.) While I’m still considered a cancer patient, I look great and feel even better. My family is into it, too. I believe that we all can improve our well-being by eating clean, exercising more, finding our calmness and using less toxic products. I write to share my stories, resources and intel so that together we can make our lives and this world better.
Please use these posts and videos as a resource, not as a prescribed recommendation. While I have knowledge from my own experience living “green and clean,” years scrutinizing research, a certification in plant-based nutrition and a ton of passion, this information is meant to be a tool for readers. Use the data presented to question your own “wellness team” including doctors, naturopaths, physical therapists, trainers, coaches, hairstylists, and anyone who can help you improve your own well-being.
CLEAN EATING RESOURCES: Most everything I consume is non-GMO, wholesome, plant-based and made with quality ingredients. While the rest of my family isn’t vegan, they largely eat organic.
Overall Tips to Start Somewhere:
How I Started Making Healthy Changes to my Diet: Immediate Changes, Small Steps & Substitutions, How I Shop, 50 Clean Eating Tips – If You Don’t Know Where to Begin, Eating Clean – Grocery Shopping Tips & Tools
1. Healthy Living Apps and Resources
2. Healthy Meal Planning
4. Post Workout Drink – Maple Water
5. How to Host a Healthy Book Club or In-home Event
6. Healthy Lifestyle Hacks for Everyone
7. Eating Clean on a Budget
8. Wellness Book Club
Easy Clean-Eating Tips DIY/Video:
1. Drink Warm Water & Lemon Daily
2. Use a Spiralizer to Add Veggies to Meals
3. Encouraging Kids to Eat Healthy
4. How to Dine Out Healthy
5. How to Eat Healthy While Traveling
6. Clean Eating Tools: What I Use – Blenders, Etc.
7. Healthy Snacking “On-the-go”
8. How to Start Juicing and Like It
9. Healthy Holiday Treats (Christmas/Hanukkah)
10. How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Breakfast: Egg Fritatta, Zucchini Muffins, Carrot Cake Muffins, Banana Muffins
Snacks: No-nut Larabars, Oatmeal/Granola Cookies, Healthy Buttery Popcorn, Kale Chips, Fresh Strawberry Pie, Healthy Patriotic Cookie, Healthy Chocolate (Avocado Cacao) Mousse, Healthy Cacao Fudge
Salads/Lunches: Veggie Quinoa Salad, Chickpea Miso Soup, Couscous Salad, DIY Grain Salads/Farro Salad, Endive Avocado Salad
Dinners: Stuffed Peppers, Veggie Chili, DIY Easy Pizza, Veggie Pasta, Mini-Meatloafs, Immunity Boosting Onion Soup
Smoothies/Juicing: Kid-Approved Green Smoothie, Favorite Juice/Smoothies, Healthy Turmeric Creamsicle Smoothie, 3C Healthy Chocolate Smoothie, Catch Me Mint and Mango Infusion Smoothies
Drinks: Lemonade, Hot Chocolate/Chocolate Milk
Other: Roundup of Other Recipes, Infused Water Recipes & Tools
ACTIVE LIVING RESOURCES: I’ve learned, it’s not just about how we fuel our body with food, it’s also about treating our mind and body well. From exercising to meditating, our mind and body needs to be active to help promote optimal wellness. Exercise strengthens the heart and oxygenates cells, which helps prevent many diseases. Mindfulness techniques decrease our stress levels, which helps prevent the cortisol/insulin process from promoting disease.
Active Mind & Body
Work: Stress Reduction Tips, Redefining Success a Review of Thrive
Yoga: Research: Benefits of Yoga, Graduating to the Next Level
Walking: Research: 3-5 hours a week of walking for Disease Prevention
Other Modalities: Acupuncture, Guided Imagery, Smile Experiment
Miscellaneous: Healthy Gifts for Adults 2014, Healthy Holiday Gifts 2014 (video), Healthy Holiday Gifts 2015, Healthy Holiday Gifts 2016
Tips: 25 Tips for a Healthy Mind & Body – If You Don’t Know Where to Begin, Finding Zen During the Holiday Season
1. Tips to Keep Kids Active in the Summer
2. Family Fitness Tips at Home
3. Kids Books That Promote Fitness
4. Healthy Kid Gifts 2014, Healthy Kid Gifts 2015
5. Fun after Strawberry Picking
6. A DIY Kids Garden
7. The Best Little League Coaches Instill Healthy Life Lessons
8. Creative and Useful Fitness Ideas for Kids
9. Wellness books for Tweens and Teens
NON-TOXIC LIVING RESOURCES: What we put on or near our body is often soaked into our bloodstream. And many of these products are filled with toxins that are hormone disrupters, huge allergens and poisonous chemicals that disturb our systems. So I’ve started to scrutinize products and ingredients within my cosmetics and cleaners. The Environmental Working Group provides consumer guides that have been extremely useful tools to better understand these ingredients as well as provide information on breakthrough research and education.
Green Beauty Products:
1. Going Green – First Changes to My Beauty Routine
2. Green Beauty on the Cheap DIY Hair Conditioner
3. All-Natural/Organic & Clean Make-up
4. All-Natural/Organic & Clean Soaps, Cleansing, Hygiene Products
5. Non-Toxic Beauty: What’s in My Bag Now – Spring 2015
6. Non-Toxic Beauty: What’s in My Bag Now – Fall 2015
7. Non-Toxic Beauty: What’s in My Bag Now – Spring 2016
8. Three Ways to Clean Up Your Cosmetics
Green Beauty Practices:
1. How to Start a Clean Beauty Routine
2. Oil Pulling
3. Salt Baths
4. Four Tips to Spring Clean Your Personal Care/Beauty Regimen
5. Three Ways to Clean Up Your Cosmetics – Green Beauty Fall Trends and Necessities
6. DIY Salt and Sugar Scrubs
We would love to hear from you. Please comment below about clean living resources that you find useful. Also, please join us in further conversation – friend, like and let us know your thoughts on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
Looking for a speaker to inspire your organization or business team? Hire me to present or facilitate a seminar on resiliency, positivity or wellness in the workplace. Check out my business website and demo reel at CarynSullivan.com. I can be reached at Caryn@CarynSullivan.com.