I’ve said it many times, I’ve always loved carbs. Now that I eat clean, I choose wisely. Gone are the days when I’d eat a life-size bucket of white pasta with creamy sauces. Rather than eliminate all carbs, I focus on the complex ones. My latest favorite is the ancient whole grain, farro. It’s easy to add a ton of veggies and use cold-pressed oils for hearty salads. I’ve also found that tossed with sweet fruit, a farro bowl is a satisfying breakfast.
My favorite grain salads use farro, but like anything, mix and match your favorite grains, oils, fruits, veggies and herbs so that it works for you. My husband loves the ancient grain salads with basil, tomato, mozzarella and corn. I prefer the one below. Also, if you are looking to pack in more healthy properties, add turmeric and black pepper to your dressings/sauces.
- 2 cups whole grain (I love farro)
- ½ cup chopped veggies I (a green one - I use asparagus, green peppers)
- ½ cup chopped veggies II (a bright one - I love red/yellow peppers or tomatoes)
- ½ cup fruit (watermelon or avocado)
- 2 tsp. herb (I love cilantro)
- 2 tsp. oil (I love organic EVOO or organic cold pressed coconut oil for a sweeter taste)
- Optional: Make an anti-inflammatory oil blend - use ¼ tsp. turmeric with ⅛ tsp. black pepper for every 1 tbsp. of oil. I also use this "paste" in my tomato sauces.
- Cook grain salad
- While grain is cooking, cut up fruits, vegetables and herbs
- Once grain is cooked - cool to room temperature (or rinse with cold water)
- Add fruit, vegetables and herbs
- Toss with oil
- Eat at room temperature or refrigerate
What are your favorite side salads?