I used to love a big plate full of pasta. Sure, the starch-filled noodles were tasty. But what I came to realize was that the juicy sauces were what made the meal. So, once I learned how-to use a spiralizer, I went to town creating my own veggie pastas dishes.
Now that I’m vegan and eat largely plant-based foods, a veggie pasta meal nightly using different beans, green leafy vegetables and sauces provides a variety of nutrients and dinners. (I use two-zucchinis for each individual dinner.) I feel incredibly full and satisfied without the bloat of heavy carbs. For my family, if I buy an additional six zucchinis, two potatoes and two sweet potatoes, I have side dishes for the entire week. Here’s my favorite recipe for an easy veggie meal or side dish. Enjoy!
- 2 zucchinis - medium sized
- 3 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup cannellini beans
- 1 tsp. salt - or salt to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper
- *Optional: garnish with hummus. I make my own in the Vitamix blending 1 can/box of chick peas with 1 tbsp of vinegar, 1tsp. cumin and 1-2 cloves of garlic.
- Use spiralizer to make veggie noodles
- Add 1 tbsp. of EVOO in sauté pan and 1 tsp. of minced garlic
- Put noodles and chick peas in pan on medium heat for five minutes
- Add 3 cups of spinach
- Drizzle 2 tbsps. of EVOO on spinach and cover on low heat
- Keep an eye on pan, stirring often
- Cook to preference/wilted veggies
I often rotate my veggies including sautéed mushrooms, onions, brussels sprouts, escarole and different beans.
I also substitute the second two tbsps of EVOO for RAOs tomato sauce.
What are you favorite vegetable side dishes?