I loved spending time with all of you during your off-site last week. I hope the brainstorming session was creative, the deal-making promising and the nights out enjoyable.
I truly believe that embracing wellness has helped me thrive physically (healthiest cancer patient I know), professionally (managing tons of work projects with energy), and personally (enjoying and being grateful with my life). As promised, below is some information that can help you take a few steps toward better wellness.
My overall wellness strategies to keep healthy living simple:
1. Be MINDFUL of the health area you want to improve.
- Clean Eating: How often do you eat? What do you eat? How do you feel after you consume these foods/drinks? (Consider a food journal or just thinking about what you eat.)
- Active Living – Fitness: How often do you exercise? Do you think about exercising often? What motivates you to exercise? What does your daily schedule look like and where might you be able to fit in something?
- Active Living – Mind: Take one daily activity like brushing your teeth and pay attention to your surroundings. What are you thinking? What are you smelling, hearing and feeling?
- Non-toxic Living: What products do you use every day? Keep a list (product/cosmetics journal.)
2. What can you ADD to your life?
- Clean Eating: How can you add more fruits/veggies to your life? Each meal?
- Active Living – Fitness: Where can you add in 15-60 minutes of stretching, yoga, weight training, walking ideally? Can you find 10 minutes and do something active?
- Active Living – Mind: Can you find a few minutes in a day to try a mindfulness technique (deep breathing, setting affirmations daily, making a gratitude list, etc.)
- Non-toxic Living: When you need to buy a new soap, toothpaste or cosmetics item, try a truly natural brand with less chemicals. Check out the The Environmental Working Group’s Healthy Living app, which includes their Skin Deep database.
3. Eliminate PROCESSED/packaged Foods.
- Eliminate processed/packaged foods for a set period and see how you feel.
- Choose packaged items with the organic or non-GMO butterfly sticker for items with better ingredients.
4. Eliminate SUGAR.
- Learn more about how sugar is hidden in many of our processed/packaged foods.
- Stay away from simple sugars – think white pasta, white breads, cookies, candies, etc.
5. DETOX your life by taking small steps. Think about the toxins in your life and make a few small changes.
- Clean Eating – As noted above – choose whole foods, not processed. Check out EWG’s Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 to determine what foods should be eaten organic.
- Drink water – It flushes out many of the toxins in our body. If you don’t like water, try infused waters. Also try a new morning routine like warm water and lemon.
- Enjoy hot yoga, infrared saunas or other activities like sleeping full nights regularly to replenish your cells.
- Caryn’s healthy living page – recipes, stories and information on taking small steps
- Favorite Resource overall: EWG and Healthy Living database
- Documentaries: Forks Over Knives (Clean Eating,) Fed Up (Sugar,) The Human Experiment (Toxic Cosmetics/Products)
- Books: Anti-Cancer by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber, Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Thrive by Arianna Huffington and Miracles Now by Gabby Bernstein. Other favorites: cancer books and kid books.
- Smoothies: Kid-Approved Green Smoothie and Healthy Chocolate one
- Meal Planning and Grocery List
- Dining Out tips: Better Choices – Fast Food, Dining Out Healthy, Tips to Dine Out Less, Dining Out Healthy – Video
- Work: Clean Eating at Work, Finding time to Be Active, Stress Reduction Tips
- Other: Wine, Travel/Healthy Road Trip
- Non-toxic Living: Cleaning Products, Cosmetics
- Healthy Kids: Four Ways for Kids to Like Eating Healthy, Clean Eating for Kids, Healthy Snacking On-the-Go (video), Easy Healthy Snacks for Parks, Beaches and Summer Adventures, 35 Fit, Fun & Mostly Free Activities, 50 Kid Books that Promote Fitness
Thanks again for inviting me to speak at your off-site. I enjoyed the questions, conversations, and your willingness to sample my smoothie.
Wishing you happiness and good health.
Founder & Executive Director – Pretty Wellness, Speed Lemon Media, LLC