Why is it that going to the movies or curling up on the couch with a late-night flick is so much better with a salty snack? From movie theater popcorn to Orville Redenbacher’s microwavable SmartPop, I’ve always enjoyed this buttery treat. But I’ve stayed away in recent years, mainly because of the immense number of calories found in cinema popcorn and those oftentimes mysterious ingredients in microwavable kernels. Here is my answer for non-processed buttery tasting popcorn without the guilt. It’s easy to make with just three ingredients and four minutes on the stove.
*While buttery, this recipe doesn’t actually include any butter or fake flavoring. Try it and let us know what you think. It’s simple and satisfies salty cravings. If you like cheese and want a healthy alternative, try adding nutritional yeast to the popcorn, too.
- 1.5 tablespoons cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic popcorn kernels
- Himalayan sea salt (salt to taste)
- Scoop 1.5 tbsp. of coconut oil (or pour 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil if you don't like coconut) and put it on the bottom of a sauce pan.
- Pour kernels to fill the sauce pan
- Put cover on sauce pan and turn on to medium heat.
- Watch and wait – after about three minutes it should pop – after a minute of popping take it off the heat.
- Salt to taste.
*This recipe tastes buttery, though it's not made with any butter or fake flavorings. If you like cheese, try adding nutritional yeast for a vegan alternative.
What is your favorite movie theater treat? Do you have a healthy swap for your favorite snack?